Unsurprisingly, with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine occurring late February, the March 2022 round-up has a number of language and translation-related articles, blog posts, and stories about the war.
- How translators are supporting Ukraine: a list of resources translators, interpreters and professional organisations have created to support Ukrainians. Also see these pages on Proz and the ITI website
- A linguistic power struggle was playing out in Ukraine long before shots were fired. (Also in The Conversation: Ukrainian and Russian: how similar are the two languages?)
- In this article a Ukrainian interpreter based in the UK revealed what her job involves and why her role is so important
- An interview with Russian translator Max Lawton (carried out before the invasion of Ukraine) on reading Russian literature, translating Sorokin, books in need of translation and retranslation, learning languages, and ambitious projects
- Paulo Scott and his translator Daniel Hahn and talk about Blackness and the experience of Blackness
- UK publishers are being called on to pay literary translators royalties on the sales of books they translate
- The US Interior Department is taking steps to strip an offensive term from the names of 660 sites
- We need more speculative fiction in translation, says Rachel Cordasco
- If you’re looking for books on translation, language and thought, language and the mind, grammar and punctuation, or US and UK English, the 5 Books website has recommendations from experts in each of these fields.
- 18 words for St Patrick’s Day
In other news, I was honoured to be featured in the “Meet our members” section of ITI’s FrenchNet newsletter: you can see the interview here. At the beginning of March I enjoyed participating in a careers event at a local high school with a class of penultimate year pupils. And I’ve also signed up for the BP22 conference in Lisbon: will I see you there?
Elsewhere on the blog:
Pingback: Around the web – April 2022 | A Smart Translator's Reunion
Pingback: Around the web – May & June 2022 | A Smart Translator's Reunion