This blog contains some of my reflections on language and translation.
I also write another blog about Reunion Island, the south-west Indian Ocean, travel and life in Asia (*I lived in Seoul for three years 2008-2011), and diving (I’m a certified scuba diver). I’m the author of the ‘Reunion’ section of the 2016 and 2019 editions of the Insight Guide to Mauritius, Reunion & Seychelles.
- In April 2012 I was interviewed by the Endless Possibilities Talks (EPT) team – you can watch ‘Adventures on a Faraway Island‘ here.
- In July 2012 I was interviewed by Megan Onions of Speech Marks Translation as part of her “1 Linguist, 3 Questions” series.
- In March 2013 I was interviewed by Lloyd Bingham as part of his “Translator Diaries” series.
- In April 2013 this blog and my travel blog were the object of an article in Reunion Multimedia magazine.
- In May 2013 I inaugurated Natali Lekka‘s series of articles about ‘travelling translators’: see here.
- In June 2013 my twitter account @Smart_Translate was voted 12th in the Blabla 2013 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition (and 17th in the Top 100 Language Lovers 2013); see here for more details.
- in July 2013 I was the subject of a full-page interview in Reunion Multimedia magazine.
- In September 2013 I was one of ten translators interviewed by Emeline Jamoul for her International Translation Day 2013 series; you can read the interview here.
- In October 2013 I was featured in Christine Christaki’s “20 or so questions on how XXXXXX works” series; see it on the Lingua Greca blog here.
- In June 2014 my twitter account was voted 4th in the Blabla 2014 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition (and 5th in the Top 100 Language Lovers 2014); see here for more details.
- In June 2015 my twitter account was voted 8th in the Blabla 2015 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition; see here for more details.
- In January 2016 I was interviewed by Alexandra Le Deun for her guest translator series; read the article (in French) on her blog, Hispafra, here.
- In May 2016 I was one of the translators who contributed to an article about the Tools You May Not Be Using But Probably Should.
- In June 2016 my twitter account was voted 7th in the Blabla 2016 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition; see here for more details.
- In June 2017 my twitter account @Smart_Translate was voted 2nd in the Blabla 2017 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition.
- In September 2018 I was invited by translation company Wordbee to talk about Creoles on Episode 18 of their International Buzz podcast.
- Also in September 2018 I was interviewed by colleague Françoise L’Heveder for her Parcours de Traducteurs series (interview in English, despite the French name!).
- In August 2020 I was featured translator on Maeva Cifuentes’ blog.
Since 2011 I’ve also made a professional presentation to BTS students at Lycée Amiral Bouvet high school, been interviewed by students from Lycée St Charles, given presentations at the Collège Hippolyte Foucque Career Morning four years running, participated in the Careers Fair of Lycée Leconte de Lisle, and gave presentations for two consecutive years at the Femmes Responsables event at College de Bras Panon, as well as running a stand presenting the translating and interpreting profession at Reunion’s Career Fair in 2015 and 2016.