I’m Catharine Cellier-Smart, a British-born professional French to English sworn translator who’s lived on Reunion Island, a French overseas department in the Indian Ocean, for a total of about 20 years since 1990.
I’m a member of the Syndicat National des Traducteurs Professionnels, the French national translators’ union, as well as IAPTI (the International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters) and UNETICA (French national union of sworn translators and interpreters).
This blog contains some of my reflections on language and translation.
I also write another blog about travel, mainly in Asia (where I lived for three years 2008-2011), the south-west Indian Ocean, Reunion Island, and scuba-diving. I’m the author of the Reunion section of the Insight Guide to Mauritius, Reunion & Seychelles.
- In July 2012 I was interviewed by Megan Onions of Speech Marks Translation as part of her 1 Linguist, 3 Questions series.
- In March 2013 I was interviewed by Lloyd Bingham as part of his Translator Diaries series.
- In April 2013 this blog and my travel blog were the object of an article in Reunion Multimedia magazine.
- In May 2013 I inaugurated Natali Lekka‘s series of articles about ‘travelling translators’: see here.
- In June 2013 my twitter account @Smart_Translate was voted 12th in the Blabla 2013 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition (and 17th in the Top 100 Language Lovers 2013); see here for more details.
- in July 2013 I was the subject of a full-page interview in Reunion Multimedia magazine.
- In September 2013 I was one of ten translators interviewed by Emeline Jamoul for her International Translation Day 2013 series; you can read the interview here.
- In October 2013 I was featured in Christine Christaki’s “20 or so questions on how XXXXXX works” series; see it on the Lingua Greca blog here.
- In June 2014 my twitter account @Smart_Translate was voted 4th in the Blabla 2014 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition (and 5th in the Top 100 Language Lovers 2014); see here for more details.
- In June 2015 my twitter account @Smart_Translate was voted 8th in the Blabla 2015 Top Twitterers Language Lovers competition; see here for more details.
- In January 2016 I was interviewed by Alexandra Le Deun for her guest translator series; read the article (in French) on her blog, Hispafra, here.
- In May 2016 I was one of the translators who contributed to an article about the Tools You May Not Be Using But Probably Should.
In the course of the past few years I’ve also made a professional presentation to BTS students at Lycée Amiral Bouvet high school, been interviewed by students from Lycée St Charles, given presentations at the Collège Hippolyte Foucque Career Morning three years running, and run a stand presenting the translating and interpreting profession at Reunion’s Career Fair in 2015 and 2016.