Here’s a look at the most popular stories about translation, interpreting, and language for December 2018 and January 2019*.
- In the UK, unqualified interpreters used by police have caused court delays, and in at least one instance the collapse of a case.
- Some words don’t cross borders very easily.
- Did you know a former conference interpreter was recently elected to Switzerland’s top government post?
- The Society of Authors has announced its 2018 Translation Prize shortlists.
- What does the profession of literary translator entail?
- December is always the time for “words of year” and 2018’s crop were particularly depressing. But will they last?
- Translating film titles can be a tricky business
- Duck cold: How do the French use animals to talk about weather?
* I was away from late December until January (hence the round-up covering two months), and so I’ll leave you with a “translation” I saw on my travels …