Here, in ascending order, are the 10 most popular* tweets about translation and language that I shared during 2016 on my @Smart_Translate Twitter account:
- Ten words that are the opposite of their meaning (actually a 2015 article in The Independent, which I shared in October 2016).
- When you’re interpreting, how do you deal with possibly unintelligible words spoken by foreign language speakers? A blog post by the Jenner twins.
- My own blog post with 7 interesting language facts about colour you might not know.
- Another article from The Independent, this time with the Top 10 autological words (words that describe themselves).
- Adieu accent circonflexe, la réforme de l’orthographe va s’appliquer en septembre, a BFMTV article from February.
- Faire un test de traduction ? Ouais… by Sara Freitas of La Marmite.
- How Translators Can Market Themselves Online is a detailed infographic aimed at translators new to the concept of digital marketing.
- 4 Passages in the “Little Prince” Show Why Translation is an Art shows how much influence a translator has on how readers experience the original work in another language.
- How many of these 30 Words, Phrases and Neologisms Popularised by Film do you know?
- In a year that seems to have been dominated by negative news, it’s refreshing to see that an article about sport, 7 Fun Facts About Translation at the Olympics In 2016, was the year’s most popular article!
Do you have a favourite article published in 2016 you’d like to share? Don’t hesitate to leave it in the comments below.
* ‘most popular’ = most clicked on, according to Hootsuite.